Why did God let innocent people Suffer?

I feel like I was always suffering from everything. That I always question God. I am suffering from the pain of my past relationship. And now I am struggling with my finances. I am a good person, and I never had an unpleasant attitude toward others.
I always went to church, but nothing changed about myself. Am I not good enough? Why have I always suffered? Can someone give me some advice? I don’t know what I am doing right now.

Brother Jeremy - James tells us that trials develop us for greater things. Let the process work. I wrote an article about this a while back - i will paste it below - i hope it helps. Never give up brother -

Key Point – Evil entered the world through free will and choice on the part of Adam and Eve. People make bad choices and hurt each other. There is “evil” in the world’s physical makeup such as weather patterns, there is evil in the hearts of man, and there are evil forces at work in the spiritual world. Any or all of these can affect people in negative ways.

One of the most common objections people offer is - if God is good, why is there so much evil and suffering in the world. This comes from a misconception that when someone becomes a Christian there will never be any suffering.

Christ Himself was crucified. Jesus told us “In this world there would be trouble”.

Learning to trust God in the good times and the bad times is most important. This is preparation for ruling and reigning with Christ in the future. Romans 8:29 KJV says “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.” The way we are conformed into His image is through the trials and tribulations of life.

This discussion is not meant at all to minimize the unbearable, sometimes lifelong pain that people feel in certain kinds of sickness, death or loss. Tragedy seems to be a common occurrence for many around the world. Many have sought to answer the question of “why suffering”. Since great people have failed to give an exhaustive treatise on this subject, I only hope here to mention some of the arguments I have heard or thought of that seem to make the most sense.

Suffering in almost all cases originates from the existence of evil. Evil was allowed into the world when the first members of the human race essentially gave up their dominion in the perfect Garden of Eden to Satan through disobedience.

Since God is good and He created beings that are free moral agents, the possibility of choice leading to evil enters the picture. Evil in this case defined as beings not choosing to do things God’s way. Therefore, since God has existed from the beginning, as soon as He created other beings with free choice the possibility of evil enters the picture and therefore, we can say that evil existed from the beginning as well. It was not, per se, created by God. It is a function of choice.

Why choice? The creator God desires followers and worshippers who choose Him out of free will. There is no true love apart from choice. The first man and woman were Adam and Eve according to scripture, and they were given dominion over all the earth. Since the first major bad choice occurred in the Garden of Eden made by Adam and Eve, we see dominion over the earth being handed over to Satan. Sickness, sin, death, and evil enter into the world at that point. By now these forces are fully incorporated into the world and take many forms.

There is one sense in which evil is allowed in order to bring about the plan of God. For example, if it were not for Goliath, where would David be? And as Joseph said in Genesis when confronted by his brothers who tried to kill him and failed, Gen 50:20 (KJV) “And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.” The evil done unto Joseph caused him to be placed into prison in Egypt, to be brought before Pharaoh to interpret a dream, and eventually to be the second in command of Egypt. While second in command he saved the Israelite nation by providing them food and shelter. Its and amazing story. God is often glorified through the overcoming of evil.

What about the evil Christ suffered? What good came from that? In another sense in which evil is allowed that God may show His power and glory. There are so many Biblical examples of God showing His power which could only have been demonstrated as a result of the defeat of evil. The primary example of course being Jesus Christ. The Son of God was sent to earth to live and die a miserable death at the hands of torturers. As a result of that death, and His subsequent raising from the dead, God has orchestrated the taking back of earthy dominion for believers in Christ and the salvation of the world for those who will place their trust in Him.

There are of course many other Biblical and extrabiblical examples of great evil being turned to miraculous victory so that God will get the glory. Our Father in heaven is worthy of glory, and honor and praise and He loves to strike major blows in defense of His children.

There is “evil” in the world’s physical makeup such as weather patterns, there is evil in the hearts of man, and there are many evil forces at work in the spiritual world. Any or all of these can affect people in negative ways.

Finally, I would offer the notion that God allows evil so that he can sanctify and prepare His children for eventually ruling and reigning with Him. As James says in Chapter 1 “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. 2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”

To those who have been damaged or emotionally destroyed by the horrors of evil, I beseech you not to give up. Because you have been touched once by evil, it does not require that you will be touched again and again.

Pray hard, make good choices as best you can, and trust in God to make all things right – even the terrible events.

He alone has the ultimate power to turn even death into victory – like He did with Jesus.

1 Corinthians 15 (KJV) says: “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.”

IS 57:1-2

Scripture tells us how to live and what to expect. It tells us God is sovereign and that good and bad happen to all and that God will win in the end. It tells us that hard times have a purpose in our lives. They occur in order to grow us and to teach and mature us. Also if applicable It tells us God chastises believers who sin and that judgement will come for the persistently unrighteous. The bottom line is that if God says it, it will come to pass, and that God acts to accomplish His purposes alone. Finally, I would say we must not seek God only for what we want, but for the full experience of Him.

Do you want to know what He is up to? He is up to saving souls. He is up to the establishment and protection of Israel and Jerusalem as His eventual resting place. He is up to the protection of innocent lives. He is up to the ability of His children of ALL races and countries to be able to live for Him and to spread the gospel. He is up to answering the prayers of all His children for their welfare and joy as much as possible. Trust Him in the way things ARE, not only in the way you want them.

Because you suffer it does not mean you are a Christian - but if you are a Christian you will suffer. It is through trials that we grow. Hot molten metal is the only way to shape and forge steel.

Key Point – Evil entered the world through free will and choice on the part of Adam and Eve. People make bad choices and hurt each other. There is “evil” in the world’s physical makeup such as weather patterns, there is evil in the hearts of man, and there are evil forces at work in the spiritual world. Any or all of these can affect people in negative ways.